Friday, September 9, 2016

Spanish tapas made healthy with gambas al ajillo aka shrimp with garlic. So easy, yummy, healthy AND good for your thyroid!

My absolute favorite Spanish tapa is Gambas Al Ajillo or shrimp with (lots of) garlic. Here I've created a really easy version thats so tasty and made in 20 mins or less.

Shrimp is an excellent source of protein + selenium.
I often prescribe selenium to my patients who struggle with eye disease due to a form of thyroid disease called "Graves Disease." Selenium is a mineral that is important to make thyroid hormone and it also has an anti-inflammatory effect.
I recommend all my thyroid patients, to increase their intake of selenium in their diet. I will blog more on selenium later :)

STEPS:
-Add 1/4 cup of olive oil into a hot pan
-Add in 12 cloves of minced garlic (more if you love gah-lic!)
-Sautee garlic until light brown
-Add in 1 pound of fresh or frozen shrimp (peeled and deveined)
-Add in 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
-Sprinkle 1.5 teaspoon of paprika
-Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of red pepper (or more if you want it spicey)
-Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of saffron
-Lower the heat
-Mix and allow shrimp to cook for about 3 minutes (or until cooked through)
-Top off with 1 teaspoon of dry parsley
-Add salt and pepper to taste




Follow me on Instagram at Doctor_Deena for more healthy recipes to come & please share with friends and family :)

No comments:

Post a Comment