Wednesday, December 28, 2016

A Healthy Winter Recipe That's Simple & Soooo Delicious! Hearty soup with potatoes, leeks, broccoli and lots of love. Enjoy as a main dish or side!



Its freezing outside! Good thing, I get to be indoors in my sweats working on my personal website...coming soon you guys! 

Because of the weather and my mood today..I just wanted some warm hearty soup.


So I made this delicious soup with potatoes, leeks, broccoli and lots of love. 


My recipe is much lower in calorie than the traditional potato soups with no butter or heavy cream. 
I promise you won't miss it..this healthier version is just as delicious!I always use skim milk and non-fat sour cream when possible to save on fat and calories. It tastes just as good to me!

I still recommend skim milk over whole milk to all my patients because I prefer less saturated fat in our diet.


Check out the recipe below:

STEPS:

-Peel 6 potatoes and boil them in a pot of water until soft
-Cut potatoes into cubes and set aside

In a large heavy pot do the following:

-Sautee the whites of 5 sliced leeks until light brown
-Add in 6 cloves of minced garlic
-Add in 1 bag of steamed brocolli (use fresh if available)
-Add in 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme (can use dry as well)
-Add in 1 teaspoon dry oregano
-Cook until brocolli is bright green and soft
-Add in the potatoes
-Add in 4 cups of skim milk
-Add in 2 tablespoons of fat-free sour cream
-Add in 3 tablespoons of cream cheese
-Add in 1 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese
-Mix it all up
-Bring to a boil and then lower flame
-Cook until cheese is melted
-Pour it into a blender or use a hand blender to puree the mixture
-Add salt and pepper to taste
-Add in a small piece of toasted bread for a garnish with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese



Follow me on Instagram & Twitter: @Doctor_Deena 


**PLEASE REMEMBER IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS ABOUT YOUR HEALTH AND/OR BEFORE STARTING OR STOPPING ANY TREATMENT OR ACTING UPON INFORMATION CONTAINED ON THE SITE, YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR OWN PHYSICIAN OR HEALTH-CARE PROVIDER**



No comments:

Post a Comment