Monday, June 8, 2015

My fitness challenge!

As an Endocrinologist, my job involves taking care of many diabetics. Its one of my favorite conditions to treat, because it is the toughest! It goes far beyond just looking at fingersticks and an A1C (a marker of diabetes control over 3 months)....but it involves one's lifestyle, career, family, stress, culture, social factors and so much more! I know more about the lives of my diabetics than I know of my closest friends because every detail is so important in how to manage them.


The key to diabetes control isn't about medications or insulin it's about...LIFESTYLE changes! It's never too late to make lifestyle changes, no matter how many years you have been overweight or how many medications you take!

In my eyes- lifestyle changes with diet and exercise is key to 
helping control and prevent many diseases.  Obesity has been linked to many diseases:





Many studies have shown that losing as little as 5% of your weight can improve diabetes control and lower your risk for many other illness associated with obesity. This means, that if you are 200 lbs, even losing 10 lbs can help improve your fingersticks. 

No one is perfect when it comes to lifestyle, myself included. So I took it upon myself to do a lifestyle challenge. If I expect my patients to make lifestyle changes, I should be able to do it myself too! So I decided that I want to lose 10 lbs in 1 month. 

How will I do it? Exercise and diet with the use of MyFitnessPal. This is an app that's used to help keep tabs on total daily calories and following a well-balanced diet! You can use any nutrition app, this is just the one I happened to choose.

I think we should all try to do this together...would be a fun experiment. Set your goals on MyFitnessPal or any other app of your liking. The app will tell you how many calories you should consume a day based on your goals, time frame to achieve goals, weight and height! 

Ready to start to lower calories and lose weight starting tomorrow???


No comments:

Post a Comment