Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Week 1 of my fitness challenge!

Hi everyone! Are you ready to join me for a fitness challenge? Today I set my goal to lose 1 pound per week using this online calculator . Based on my sex, age, weight, height, and level of activity--- in order to reach this goal I have to consume 1,200 calories NET daily. 

Day 1 was really tough! I discovered how hard it is to count calories, and how many calories I consume that are not worth it!

What I learned this week:
A tablespoon of sugar has a ton of empty calories and its not worth it!

I take way too much sugar in my coffee -- about 2 tablespoons to be exact. I just love it sweet, and I figure drinking coffee once or twice a day w/ that much sugar shouldn't be a problem. However, now that I am calorie counting -- EVERY calorie counts. I never realized how many extra calories 2 tablespoons of sugar adds -- it adds 90 extra calories to my coffee every day and 24 grams of carbs.

I started to think of some of my favorite foods that were equivalent to 24 grams of carbs, that I would actually enjoy eating (and would feel more satisfied with) than the 2 tablespoons of sugar I was taking every day with my coffee. 


There are so many options both in the healthier and unhealthier categories. Here are a few of my favorite things that have 2 tablespoons of sugar per serving! Looking into this made me realize that 2 tablespoons of sugar goes a really long way to add sweetness.









Fruits:

-2 slices of ripe watermelon
-1 1/2 cups of juicy pineapple
-2 large peaches
Snacks:
-1 cup of yogurt covered raisins
-1/2 cup of craisins
-A peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread!
Desserts:
-1/2 cup of Haagen Daz Sorbet (my favorite, in mango!)
-1/2 cup of Ben and Jerry's ice cream
-6 Chips Ahoy cookies

My intervention:
Decrease my sugar intake!
I've been doing this for years so I'll start slow. I will try doing 1 and a 1/2 tablespoons  with my coffee every day and slowly decrease this to 1.  I am not a huge fan of sugar substitutes like Splenda or Nutrasweet....but that could be the other intervention you might choose.

Advice for you:
-Find the empty calories in your diet that might not be "worth it." This could be extra sugar, juice, alcohol, etc. 
-Find out what those calories or carbohydrates equate to (an easy google search can help figure that out)
-When you put these empty calories into perspective...it makes a huge difference
-Attempt to cut out the empty calories SLOWLY. Don't get rid of it completely...do things in moderation
- Instead of drinking 3 sodas daily, cut to 2 a day, then 1 a day, and then 1 every other day, etc. Cutting out the calories slowly will allow you to satisfy your temptation and cut calories at the same time.

It's tough making changes after all these years, but knowledge about what you are eating can really change your attitudes and preferences for food!


Any questions??






No comments:

Post a Comment